Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Fountains, Fountains, and More Fountains!

Maybe it's just where we've traveled...I can't help but continuing to notice the use of fountains to add delight, to commemorate a special event, or to create a place of tranquility as hallmarks of this part of the world. When I think of the age of some of these fountains I'm humbled by the effort that went into the engineering. Furthermore, I'm amazed by the craft that the designers, stone carvers, sculptors, and tile artists took in bringing them to life.

One thing I note is there isn't the same attention to clarity in the water as in the U.S. I'm not sure I've seen too many fountains or basins that were aerated and filtered. More often the emphasis seems to be on the presence of water than its actual purity. There have been times when what that creates, such as the mysteriously green murky water in the basin of the Nasrid Palace at the Alhambra, added to the overall essence of the place.







































































































No comments:

Post a Comment